Haskell's On30 RTR model has room for a decoder in the smokebox, and a speaker in the coal bunker. If you're prepared to rework the model, options for the speaker(s) may include the water tanks (with weights removed) or in the firebox. To access the 8 pin plug, remove the small hatch cover on the underside of the loco, near the 2nd driver. Once removed, use a jewellers scredriver to remove the screw inside the hatch and once removed, the boiler top is free. Plug the decoder in, careful not to yank on the red and black pickup wires. If they break, the loco must be completely disassembled in order to resolder the wires to the pickups. Solder the decoder's brown speaker wires to the PCBA that the decoder plugs into, where the purple wires connect. These purple wires run from the PCBA to a small PCB in the coal bunker.
Remove the coal bunker top (it slides vertically up and out), and pull the small PCB through and remove it from the purple wires in the bunker. Then solder the 16x25mm LokSound 4 ohm speaker to the two purple wires. Fit the white speaker enclosure over the back of the speaker and seal any gaps with Krsital Klear or equivalent. Once dry, place the assembly in the coal bunker and refit the bunker floor and boilder top into position.
The oil burner is a more suitable recipient of the 16x25mm micro speaker. But a small speaker can be packaged in the coal burning tender.
1) Remove the DC board and relocate it using the same screws and mounting bosses on the tender floor. The board rotates 90°, as shown below.
2) Fit the speaker to the enclosure and mount under the oil box.
3) Plug the 8 pin micro decoder into the DC board and remount the tender tank to the floor
Due to a factory error, the Trainbuilder H class requires rewiring to enable the tender lights to operate on DCC. The tender easily accommodates a LokSound standard sized decoder and included 23mm round speaker with enclosure.
1) Remove the tender jacket from floor by removing 4 screws from the underside of the floor.
2) Disconnect the 2 pin black plug and socket. Next remove the wire harness from the decoder... it is easier to work on harness with it removed from the tender.
3) Reverse the polarity of the wires coming from the black 2 pin socket (see below). Set the tender aside in a safe place.
4) Cut off the 9 pin JST plug and disregard the printed circuit board covered with heatshrink, as it's only required for DC operation. The decoder will be hardwired, so the alteration is pretty much permanent.
5) The two yellow wires in the harness split into two. Cut the yellow wire at the junction which runs to the 2 pin black plug. Connect the yellow wire from the 2 pin black plug to the blue wire. The intact yellow wire which runs from the JST 9 pin plug to the smaller 6 pin plug will be connected to the decoder's grey wire, which transmits power to one of the motor brushes in the engine.
6) Connect up the following wires as such: Red (decoder) -> Red (harness), Orange (decoder) -> Orange (harness), Black (decoder) -> Black (decoder), White (decoder) -> White (harness), Blue (decoder) -> Purple (harness), Grey (decoder) -> yellow (harness & goes to 6 pin plug), Purple (decoder) -> not used, Green (decoder) -> not used.
7) To make the speaker enclosure air tight, apply PVA glue, Krystal Klear or BluTack to the six slots in the speaker enclosure, then affix enclosure and speaker to inside of tender jacket using double-sided tape.
8) Fit harness back into tender and plug in black and white 2 pin plugs into respective sockets. Reassemble tender floor to tender top with 4 screws.
A LokSound decoder fits in the tender. There are sufficient openings in the tender floor for the sound to pass through. The track pickups to the motor are disconnected and reconnected along with the motor tabs to the decoder. TCS make a discreteن pin plug and socket which can fit between the engine frames. Use of the connector enables future disconnection of the engine from tender. The Soundtraxx 9 pin connector shown below is too large to package under the locomotive.
Payment via bank transfer:
NAB, BSB 083-532, ACC 196544471
Copyright © ℗ DCCSound 2009-2017 ABN 62 711 663 209 PO Box 320 Buninyong VIC 3357